"Elf" was the cutest movie, everyone. I highly recommend it. Very funny and sweet.
I have no desire to go see "Matrix: Revolutions." None. Which is just so very, very sad, because last year at this time I couldn't wait. I can't believe how badly they messed this franchise up; it reminds me of the last season of X-Files, or the newest two Star Wars prequels. Do they really not understand what people loved about the first film? It wasn't the special effects; they were cool, but they were in service of the story. It wasn't the philosophy/religion references; they were enjoyable, but only made the story richer. It wasn't the spectacle and the hype; we were intrigued by the story. What's the common thread, here? The story. And that's what Reloaded didn't have, and from what I hear, what Revolutions doesn't put too much stock in, either.
There's a reason why some of the most popular sci-fi/fantasy stories tell that same old Joseph Campbell hero's journey bit. Because it's a story we respond to. We've responded to it since Antiquity. That classic mythic structure is something that we buy into, a lot, and that's what made The Matrix popular at the end of the day. It's too bad they've mucked it all up.
0 comments:
Post a Comment