Monday, March 1, 2004

So, I recently decided that LOTR is, in fact, my favorite movie of all time. I had really hesitated since I first saw ROTK because Young Frankenstein has been my favorite movie since, like, ever. But I realized that in actuality, my entire top-ten list has changed quite a bit in the past four years, when I first put it together. So I have decided to post my brand new, revised list.

Shannon's Top Ten All-Time Favorite Movies


10. Donnie Darko



When I first saw this movie (with Caroline, as it turns out), my initial reaction can be encapsulated in a single word: "Wha?" But I saw it a second time with Laura, and I really understood it. Not the actual plot stuff, which is really vague and I think totally up to the individual viewer's interpretation, but the feeling, the mood of the film. It is at times very dark and depressing, but strangely uplifting and celebratory all the same. There are moments of exquisite beauty (the slo-mo intercut between Sparkle Motion and the arson, for example), and the sequence set to Gary Jules' "Mad World" is quite possibly the best montage-over-song sequence I've ever seen. A great, unique, imaginative, lovely, weird film.

current mood: working
music: Brewer and Shipley, "Too Soon Tomorrow"

0 comments: