Tuesday, March 7, 2006

Laura posted pictures of my cats, which made me realize that I don't think I've ever taken any pictures of Captain Jack. Aw, kitties! I see you soon because it is only three more days till Spring Break yay!

So, I'm in mythology today and we're talking about the Theban cycle, and as backstory my professor brings up the marriage of Cadmus and Hermione, daughter of Ares and Aphrodite. And so I, of course, zone out and try to decide whether or not JKR just liked that name or if she's actually using Hermione in any kind of mythic context. And then I decided no, but if she were going to, the only way that would work would be if Hermione functioned as, well, the harmony between love and war, the love that tames war...and that's getting into scary H/Hr waters. So. I'm going to come down on the side of that JKR just liked the name. Which made me realize that a lot of what I like about the HP books are the mythic undertones, which just don't seem to be getting explored as much as they should. And honestly, unless we find out that Snape is Harry's father, even the classic "death of the mentor" isn't going to play out as it should.

And then my professor said, like, "Oedipus," and I was like, right! Greek mythology!

0 comments: