Thursday, April 16, 2009

The babette blanket is very popular; on the Flickr group photo pool, you can see a lot of different color combinations. Some are almost monochromatic, some are very bright but still definitely within a more limited palette, and a lot are somewhere in between. I actually like the kind of retro feel of some of the really bright blankets with a lot of colors - it's that look of an older grandma using up all her yarn scraps, you know? But I would definitely get rid of the brown, in any case.

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

I will definitely look through some more of those palettes, but I'm leaning toward commissioning a blanket that involves varying shades of the same generally monochromatic idea. There were some blue squares I saw that I liked in that batch.

Catherine said...

Oooh, that style of blanket is quite lovely. (Hee, commissioning a blanket sounds so regal, like I'm mandating you write me a play. Or a screenplay.) I generally go for blue/green tones, but I'm not opposed to very colorful ones as well. I'm madly jealous that you can make things like that. I really need to learn how to do that.

Shannon said...

(Yes, in this case, you are all my patrons. Support the arts!)

I didn't learn how to crochet till my first year at grad school. I bought one of those Learn How To booklets, and even that I didn't do so well with. Then I watched videos online of close-ups of people making the various stitches, and that did the trick. It just takes practice, and you have to learn how to read patterns.

Now knitting, I can't figure out at all.

Alyssa said...

I used to know how to crochet, aw. I had a relative teach me to crochet even those epic, fancy little lace things! You know, with the teeny tiny hooks. I helped her make a whole lace tablecloth when I was a kid! And then I just stopped some time in high school, and...now I don't even know if I'd remember what to do if you handed me a hook.

I can do the knit stitch, but I cannot purl. (I don't know why my brain cannot wrap around it, but there you go.) So I am quite good at knitting straight lines. Which means I'm capable of making scarves. Heh.