Laura made this for Sarah. She bought a pattern and the fabric, and then whipped it out on the sewing machine all by herself. I find this to be extraordinary.
The blanket I just finished. FINALLY. I started it two years ago, but do not take that as an indication of how long it actually takes me to do this kind of thing. It would sit for months and months at a time, especially in the summer, when it's way hot to have an afghan draped all over you; but I decided that I wanted to start new projects, and absolutely had to finish the ones languishing unfinished first.
It's a simple shell stitch, all in seafoam green, with a cream border. Again, I tried to get a better close-up, but not only was it blurry as heck, the flash turned it into this, like, pea green color? And I couldn't fix it in Photoshop, which was frustrating. Anyway, you get the idea. I had nowhere to really lay it out for scale, but it's about 55 inches by 70, or around full bed size. I have a pink one I made back at USC that's around the same size, and let me tell you, it's very warm and heavy.
6 comments:
Aw, I love that dress, and your blanket looks lovely. :)
Hee, is that Sarah in the pic? She's adorable!
The blanket IS lovely, as is the dress. Very impressive.
I asked my mom where our crochet hooks were last night and took one with me to APM rehearsal last night with some yarn, just to see what I remembered how to do during our break. The answer: surprisingly quite a bit. I couldn't remember any of the fancy patterns off the top of my head, but I am sure I could look them up and refresh my memory.
(Hee, I came home last night to find a crochet hook and some yarn chucked across the room, and I was like, zuh? Apparently my mom tried to remember how to do the Indian afghan pattern she used to make a massive, warm, awesome blanket years and years ago, could not remember, and instead of just trying to look it up online, decided chucking it made more sense. Hee.)
Yes, that is Sarah. She's very excited, because at her last eye exam (which we expedited as she's been having frequent headaches), they decided she's old enough for contacts, so she'll be getting them hopefully this week.
One time, I was cross stitching, and got this hopeless knot that I could not get undone, but was so close to the stitch that to cut it would mean pulling out a lot of work. After, like, half an hour of fruitless work, I gave up. I didn't throw it across the room (although I was close), but I did shove it across my desk, stomp into the other room, and have a frustrated cry.
I was 23 at the time.
How old is Sarah, anyway? 12? I can't quite remember. I got contacts shortly before my 13th birthday, myself.
Oh, man. I'd have to have a frustrated cry over that knot thing, too. That sort of thing would make me nuts.
Wow, those both look fantastic. God, I wish I were good at crafty stuff.
Sarah's 14. (I know.) She'll be in high school next year. I am terrifyingly old.
Dude, Caro, I can't sew for shit, and taught myself how to crochet and do yarn stuff in grad school, so it is never too late. I find that it's a good thing to do while I watch TV, as I am much less likely to just sit and mindlessly eat snacks.
Post a Comment