Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day 04 - Your favorite show ever.



I went back and forth. If I picked BSG, I felt like I was betraying my childhood; if I picked XF, I felt like I was living in the past. They're both my favorite show ever, for different reasons. XF because it was the show that informed all of my dramatic sensibilities, the first show whose fandom I entered, the first show that I was crazy over; BSG because it's the best show I've ever watched, because I learned how to be a writer while I watched it and I'll always connect the two in my mind. When XF ended (for me, at any rate; I still have yet to watch S9 beyond the finale), I was certain that I would never find another show to make me feel the way I did for XF. I had several shows after that I loved and that meant a lot - Buffy and Angel, Arrested Development - but nothing that was quite the same. That BSG made me feel the same way that XF did when I was a kid means there's no way to put one above the other. It's a tie!

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Haha, that poster made me laugh. Those are probably my two favorite too, although AD and Simpsons S3-S9 or so are in the running.

And honestly, I don't know if I would watch S9. If it's something you feel like you need to do, I understand, but man, it was bad. I mean, the summary for the penultimate episode is: "Reyes and Doggett investigate two murders revolving around a house that is, at some points in time, identical to the Brady Bunch house."

Shannon said...

Oh, I have no plans to watch it anytime soon. Trust me. Besides the dozens of shows I've never watched before that I'd like to, I'd be willing to rewatch probably anything I've watched before rather than attempt S9. I don't hate myself, you know.

Yeah, AD is right up there for me, too. If nothing else, it gets an honorable mention for comprising around 20% of my daily speech. I'm trying to remember the last time I asked someone in my family for something drink-wise that wasn't, "Hey, relation - can I get a hit off that drink?" (Well, sometimes I ask them to beer it to me, although conceptually that's the same thing.)

Alyssa said...

Yeah, I am so with you on that tie, for a lot of those reasons!

I don't know why, I just don't think any comedic shows will ever be my Ultimate Favorite Ever, no matter how good they are. The drama is necessary to suck me in. (Says the girl who is watching all of one drama this year, LOL. Tons of comedic shows on my current slate, but none of them are worth obsessing over.)

Caro said...

I'd have to go solidly with XF, probably because as great as BSG was, it took me like 3 separate tries to get into it (I have no idea why) and I ended up watching it all after it was all over.