Friday, January 17, 2003

I had a seriously weird-ass dream night before last, and it gave me a good, healthy wig. I dreamt that I was at home, and we were all in the living room watching the news. And a Special Bulletin came on; the news people had recovered new footage of the September 11th attacks. The first was of one of the hijacked planes flying long before it reached NYC. It was composed of two different shots. The first was from a distance, and you could see the hijacked plane coming up to another plane that was trying to get in its way to stop it. You could just barely see the hijacked plane come up to it, and then the second plane broke in half and plummeted. Then, they showed a close-up. The front of the hijacked plane (HP from now on) was like a shark's mouth; narrow and angry with long, serrated teeth. The HP flew at the second plane and took a bite out of its midsection, and you could see the people falling out just before the plane itself fell out of the sky.

The second piece of footage was composed of two parts as well. In the first, they had recovered footage from a camera mounted on the front of the HP, so you could see the WTC getting bigger and bigger until the plane crashed into it. The second bit showed footage from a camera in an office in the WTC; the plane got closer and closer, and then the news people slowed it down when it was about 500 yards away. The HP crept closer and closer, directly at the camera, and then just before it hit they sped the footage up again. I woke up and shivered and wondered why on earth I would dream something like that. Gaah.

My Roman Civilization professor is a hoot. He kind of talks like Agent Smith, with long drawn out words in odd places, and funny pauses. "To-daaaay we will learn about the siiiiite that Rome was....built on." He's also got a really dry sense of humor, which to me is the best kind of humor a professor can have. He was discussing the legends about the origin of Rome, and got sidetracked into talking about the Odyssey, and had this to say: "Odysseus left his wife to go fight a war. Then he traveled all around the Mediterranean, screwing, and having a lot of sons. And of course he had sons, he's just so goddamn virile."

We're doing a test shoot tomorrow, and I'm a little scared, but I think it will go well. Colin and I are trying to decide how we'll ultimately divide up tasks; he's going to be the boom operator tomorrow and I'll be the recordist. So I have to be connected to him, obviously. However, we record sound on the same tape that picture is recorded onto, so we're also connected to the camera. So when the camera moves, so too do we. I'm trying it envision the choreographical nightmare that some shots could end up being.

24 is awesome. Although I'm really hoping that Nina isn't gone for the rest of the day; I think the dynamic between her and Jack is fascinating, and I want them to explore it in all of its nasty, dark depths. Although I like the plot twist that Sherry is either in on the conspiracy against Palmer or is working as a double agent, I am now, in retrospect, a little upset with the revelation that Marie is in cahoots with the terrorists. Maybe they'll make it work, but for right now I'm less than impressed with the actress and am concerned about her ability to pull it off.

0 comments: