Wednesday, February 12, 2003

Inane Television Ramblings

First of all, shut up Buffy. I wanted to be happy about her seemingly having feelings about Spike. She lets slip that she loves him, she staunchly defends him to Giles, they have a moment after they kill the Ashanti!Demon...but then she pulls that crap on the sofa. "I'm not ready for you to go, but I'll date other people if I want to, and expect you to hang around as my on-call lapdog. Okay?" Spike's trying to be a good guy, and is trying to keep his own feelings under control, so he does not need her jerking him around anymore. This is not the real world, where I would never say rape was the woman's fault, but since this is television, I'm going to flat out say that Buffy's "I want to do you / don't touch me" nonsense from last season is what led to Spike completely losing control and assaulting her. So...just stop it.

As far as the rest of the episode went, I really love Andrew. I don't know if it's just that I like Tom Lenk's performance so much, or if they're just giving him all the funny lines, but he really clicked with me last night. I actually enjoyed all the subplots, especially Anya's undercurrent of jealousy. Still, even though this was a far superior episode to the eighteen with the Turok-Han, it still feels like they're treading water. I want the First to do something; as much as I enjoyed Evil!Jonathan and Nikki visiting the Principal, it's not scary anymore. Months ago, when the First appeared to Willow in the guise of Cassie, that was frightening. I felt threatened. Now, I don't feel any menace whatsoever.

Moving on to 24, I'm getting confused by the Rolaide/LadyMac dynamic. Don't get me wrong, these two actresses play off each other wonderfully, and I like the concept of two women playing for power, but...I don't know what's going on, now. It's not that the writers are being ambiguous, which I wouldn't mind, it just seems like they're being far too oblique, to the point that I'm afraid they'll paint themselves into a corner. Now for the Jack storyline: I was really hoping he would have had that child killed. I would have loved to see how that would have changed his dynamic with Palmer, and I think it would have been incredible to see him go to those lengths after his concern for Kim this season and last. But, even if we didn't go there, and they went with the fake shooting, I wish they hadn't let Kate in on it. Then, she thinks Jack, whom she just heard incredibly worried about the safety of his own daughter, murdered someone else's child. All these things excepted, though, I still think it was a very strong episode.

School makes me tired. As does raining. I want to be sleepying all the time.

0 comments: