Well, I'm all settled in. My mom left on Tuedsay morning, so I'm facing my first weekend alone in about 16 months. Very scary. I still have a few boxes to unload here, but house should be set up by Monday. The apartment is very nice. I have my own bedroom (for the first time ever in me whole life!) and own bathroom (teh ditto!). The kitchen has hardwood floors, and the living room is fairly spacious and came with a real couch and armchair, as opposed to the faux cheap-o versions we had at Regal Trojan. There's a real balcony, which I'm excited about using as soon as it cools down some. I have my own washer and dryer, which is, like, heaven.
My roommate is Nigerian, and she's a law student, and she's religious and studious and rarely comes out of her bedroom. Pretty damned perfect, if you ask me. She'd been living in the apartment a week before I showed up last week, and she hadn't put anything in the living room, so I set up my TV and my movies and my books and it's just all mine and fine and dandy.
The only problem with the place, and it's a minor problem, is that we don't have nearly the storage space we need, even for two people, one of whom doesn't seem to have that much stuff. I had to go out and buy a little bookcase for my books, and a little storage shelf unit for extra pantry goods, and meanwhile I've spent the past two days cramming things into various nooks and crannies trying to get everything put away and aesthetically pleasing.
So far, I can't really say I enjoy Austin all that much, being as how it's hotter than Satan's crotch outside. And unlike LA, which could get warm when you first moved out, it doesn't cool off any at night, so it's already 100 degrees by the time you wake up in the morning. I do have to say, though; Austin's public transportation system is superb. Free to me as a student, not just the UT shuttles but all the city buses, they are well-maintained, and those travelling appear to be mostly students and business-folk, as opposed to the vagrants and crazies in LA. I had to ride the bus downtown today for a tour of the university's film institute, and for the first time ever, I didn't fear for my safety during the ride. I just enjoyed the time until we arrived, and it was very pleasantly surprising.
The Everything is Illuminated trailer is up on Apple. Sho, sho pretteh. I can't wait for this movie.
0 comments:
Post a Comment