Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Okay, wow. I'm glad I only had to do a cursory studying for my midterm, because I have spent hours reading the newest Fandom Wank. Remember CrystalWank? The woman who claimed to know the LOTR actors and also draw pictures of them that she actually just photoshopped? And how that was a huge deal? Well, this new one is about a thousand times more ridiculous, wanky, creepy and disturbing. And instead of just being about some fan no one had heard of before, it's about a BNF even I recognized.

The story is in ten parts here, and it's about Msscribe from the HP fandom. All the H/G-bashing that helped Gryffindor Tower fall apart? Thousands of inter-fandom kerfuffles? The absolute nastiness of CharityGate that led to the one and only Fandom Wank thread getting locked up? Is apparently this one person, who created sockpuppets to be her fans and also to threaten and stalk her and her friends. We're talking years of crazy, duplicitousness, backstabbing, and so on. I am familiar with HP fandom only through FW, and I still found it enthralling, so I would guess those of you more familiar with the fandom would do so as well. Honestly, I just finished with it and I started reading last night. Fandom aside, as it doesn't really matter and this could have happened in any fandom, it's a really neat almost investigative journalistic account of a total sociopathic freakjob. It read like true crime or something.

Wow.

0 comments: