If anyone could do me a big favor - we're gathering all the KC and Lawrence area newpapers today, so if you happen to grab a paper in your neck of the woods, if you could save any articles or the sports page or whatever for me, that would be awesome.
I still kind of can't believe it.
12 comments:
Aw, I heard about that this morning on the news and was so excited for you!
Unfortunately, I don't get the paper, but I am working tonight and I think the house I'm at this evening may get a daily paper. If they do, I'll totally sneak the sports page out for you. ;)
Yay! I'm happy for you! I couldn't exactly watch the game, but I heard that Kansas won and was like, "Yay for Shannon!"
Yay! I was so psyched for you when I saw this!
(BTW, did you get my message last week?)
Why is it KU when it's University of Kansas? That makes no sense! Only oddball states like Kansas (and Oklahoma... can you explain that one too?) would think of something crazy like that! (Actually, I want to know why it is KU? Is UK already taken, mate?) Didn't someone write a book about the trouble with Kansas? (I think it had an eerily familiar title.)
Oh, and Bill Self is totally going to leave "UK" and go to Oklahoma State. Didn't this already happen to Roy Williams? (see: losing to Maryland in '02) Why can't Kansas find a coach who went there for a change? (Is Danny Manning looking for a job?)
Congratulations.
Yeah. My boyfriend apparently knows a lot about basketball. Meanwhile, I'm vaguely aware that the ball goes into the net. Also, the players tend to sell shoes.
I do think his congratulations was genuine, even though he kind of sort of wishes it were Maryland. Awwww. Poor Greggers.
First of all, there are a lot of schools that put the state/school initial first, then the U!
Second of all, I doubt that Bill Self is going to leave. At the big celebration at Memorial Stadium yesterday, he said he couldn't think of any place better to coach than Kansas. It's not a full-out declaration of staying - he's probably waiting until everything's signed and dry - but he's too tactful to say something like that if he were seriously considering leaving any time soon.
Caroline: I did not get your message last week! My phone was off this weekend, but nothing's come in as of yet. :(
Call me when you get a chance. I actually wanted to talk to you about your plans for moving to California (if you are still planning that in the nearish future). I'm, like, 90% sure I'm moving back to Los Angeles (I know, I'm ridiculous) and was wondering if you wanted to talk about possibly being roommates...?
Also, btw (I had to go back to work!), Roy Williams didn't leave KU in '02 after Maryland. He left in '03 after we lost to Syracuse in the championship. This is Self's fifth year with the team.
Do most schools have coaches who claim the school as their alma mater? Because I think that's the exception rather than the rule. Besides, Self did work at KU as an assistant coach under Larry Brown, so it's not as if he had no ties to the place. In fact, I'd say that's more than what a lot of coaches have before they sign on with a school.
Aw, house had no newspaper last night.
Sorry. :(
Okay, I couldn't remember if it was after '02 or '03. I did make mention of Syracuse in my original attempt at posting, but Catherine vetoed it...
But, yeah, I think coaching at your alma mater is the expection, not the rule. I can only think of a couple off the top of my head: Gary Williams at Maryland, Jim Boeheim at Syracuse, at Roy Williams at UNC. However, they've all won national championships since 2002.
I think the thing about alumni coaching is that there's very little threat to leave. A coach at a top basketball school will leave that school for their alma mater (if their alma mater is also a top school). Roy left KU for UNC. Gary left OSU for Maryland. However, coaches don't seem to be inclined to leave their alma mater, hence the suggestion.
I see now that Danny Manning is an assistant coach. (Tells you how much I paid attention.) Do you think he's in line for a promotion?
I think when and if Self leaves, it's Manning's job to accept. In fact, as much as I love Self and think he's done a great, great job, part of the reason we did so well this year is the HUGE leap our bigs got from Manning over the year. I mean, the improvement of Kaun and Jackson in their senior year is astounding.
Honestly, as far as coaching at one's alma mater goes, if Self is tempted by the job at all, I think he's more tempted by the salary and signing bonus than he is by the fact he went there. KU is just one of those programs that has few competitors in terms of history and prestige, and Self would have a huge, uphill struggle in bringing OSU up to anything approaching the same level of consistent, year-in-year-out, game play.
I guess you were right.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3340309
Post a Comment